Varian cp-3800 stuck at initializing...

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

19 posts Page 1 of 2
We have a Varian GC 3800 that worked a year ago but has not been turned on since. I went to fire it up and the GC is stuck on the "initializing..." screen. I turned it on and off, the screen shows:

initializing.... (for a few seconds)
waiting for network connection.... (for a few seconds)
initializing.... (does nothing more)

It was unplugged during its down time, but not moved. Any suggestions?
Hi,
the instrument waiting for any external control device.if you plug the network to a computer and using workstation boot manager then you can make an ip for instrument and it will communicate with computer
else if you want using local mode then press any key on the panel and it goes on local mode.
:)
If this is the varian GC version I am thinking of there is a dip switch inside which 'tells' the GC to either wait for the network or carry on.
Buster33 wrote:
We have a Varian GC 3800 that worked a year ago but has not been turned on since. I went to fire it up and the GC is stuck on the "initializing..." screen. I turned it on and off, the screen shows:

Hi were you able to solve this issue?
I am facing the same problem now with Varian GC3800.

This system was in use... i had to turn it off and then on again because the PC was not communicating with GC.
Even if I press the key, it does not start in local mode. Left yesterday, shows initializing even after 24 hour.

Any help from anyone appreciated.

Thanks and regards
NN
We had the same problem:on the GC's motherboard is a large soldered battery, responsible among other things, with the system's RTC(real time clock).If this battery is spent the the only chance to communicate with the computer system is to set the GC'S time and date from the front panel(avoiding also to desolder the old battery and solder a new one).Hope this helps.
I turned off the GC and software.
Changed the ip addresses to completely new ones and restarted again- the GC first, then software.
It worked fine for me.

Best Wishes
NN
Buster33 wrote:

Hello All.
please, you do the following:
Disconnect the BNC cable is behind the chromatograph (this cable connect the PC to the GC).
Then turn on the GC and wait 10 minutes. The display shows "waiting for network connection".
After that, please touch a key, then the GC should show: "initializing" and after shows status screen.
this happens?
----------------------------------------------------------
Ariel A. Ciarlo

Lab Solutions Argentina
www.labsolutions.com.ar
ariel.ciarlo@labsolutions.com.ar
aritoc wrote:
Hello All.
please, you do the following:
Disconnect the BNC cable is behind the chromatograph (this cable connect the PC to the GC).
Then turn on the GC and wait 10 minutes. The display shows "waiting for network connection".
After that, please touch a key, then the GC should show: "initializing" and after shows status screen.
this happens?

Like I said,
turn off GC
clear all ip from configuration, give new ip address in software
restart computer
turn ON GC

The problem seems unknown, but this is how it worked for me. Presume the same for any GC connected over ethernet.
Buster33 wrote:
We have a Varian GC 3800 that worked a year ago but has not been turned on since. I went to fire it up and the GC is stuck on the "initializing..." screen:

I've had the similar problem the other days. I changed Date And Time via GC-keyboard, pressed Enter, and the instrument began this endless "initializating..." but a little bit different from described by Buster33:

initializing.... (for about 30 seconds)
waiting for network connection.... press any key to start from a local panel (for a few seconds)
initializing.... (for about 30 seconds)
waiting for network connection.... press any key to start from a local panel (for a few seconds)
and so on..........

Pressing any key brings the GC to 30-seconds initializing screen again...
The MainBoard battery (Panasonic CR2477) may be old (voltage 2,72V instead of 3V). Can it be the possible cause of constant rebooting?! If not then what else: memory of mainboard failure?!
UPDATE:
Exchanging the battery helped to solve the problem! :D
Same problem here, I have bought a Varian GC 3800 without PC for a few months ago and now i have installed an old PCI network with BNC that the GC require. I have never been able to connect or see it in the network but i could navigate trough the GC menu with the control panel. Now suddently it gets stuck in the Intalizing... and nothing helps. I have changed the battery but it dosnt seems to help.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

EDIT: after a few more resets got unstacked and worked fine again
This just happened to me. 3800 was working fine yesterday. I shut it down to swap out the column, then turned it back on. 3800 is stuck initializing. Does a brief check for the network then screen reads initializing and sticks there. Mass spec is working fine, fwiw.

Tried unplugging 3800 from computer, but same after hitting 'any key', 3800 sticks in initializing. None of the 3800 panel buttons does anything. Also tried changing the IP address in the computer software, but same result.

Mention was made of a battery. Where is it?

I really don't want to call Agilent (I really don't like those guys - Varian was so much better to work with).
Badsocref2 wrote:
This just happened to me. 3800 was working fine yesterday. I shut it down to swap out the column, then turned it back on. 3800 is stuck initializing. Does a brief check for the network then screen reads initializing and sticks there. Mass spec is working fine, fwiw.

Tried unplugging 3800 from computer, but same after hitting 'any key', 3800 sticks in initializing. None of the 3800 panel buttons does anything. Also tried changing the IP address in the computer software, but same result.

Mention was made of a battery. Where is it?

I really don't want to call Agilent (I really don't like those guys - Varian was so much better to work with).

Open the left side panel of the GC and you see the motherboard with the network on the left-down corner. Well on the right side of the motherboard under the FID's boards you see a 3V CR2032 battery. I had no CR battery but i soldered 3x1.2v cells in series and then soldered directly on the slot. That will do many years from now. Good luck!
Can send a pic otherwise if u send PM me your mail ;)
I could kiss you! Well, maybe not, but I'm way thankful!! I found and replaced the battery, and the unit is now happily running!
Hehe Glad i could help!
well im quite new at GC so i'll might need some help u know =)
atm i'm at the planning fase and getting the gas tubes in a few days

Cheers!!
19 posts Page 1 of 2