FID not heating

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

19 posts Page 2 of 2
First of all, thanks for all of your helpful comments and suggestions. I was busy all week with other lab stuff and finally had a chance to put the GC back together today. Here are the results.

The detector is still not heating correctly although it does get hot enough to possibly run samples. The detector reads 250 whether the oven is off or on at 190 C. I suspect that the sensor is faulty and I will pursue replacing it when I have the opportunity.

As far as the flame problem, I removed and cleaned the jet and checked all of the flows. There is no makeup gas flow for the detector on this GC but it has worked well in the past. I also checked for leaks all around the detector and found none. After all of this, I still could not get the flame to stay lit. Finally, I obtained a butane grill lighter and tried that to light the flame. It worked! I still don't know why the flame wouldn't stay lit using the glow plug because it always did before. Another one of life's unsolved mysteries.

Thanks again for all of the comments. I will update any progress in the future.
Hello guys,
I have an Agilent 7820A GC-FID in my lab. My issue is that the actual temperature of the detector rises rapidly to get to the set point temp, goes higher than the set point temp and then the set point reads "Off".

Any help will be very much appreciated. The GC has been down for weeks now.

I suspect the heat sensor though I read online that it could also be a software issue. Maybe a re-installation will fix it?
Mpock wrote:
Hello guys,
I have an Agilent 7820A GC-FID in my lab. My issue is that the actual temperature of the detector rises rapidly to get to the set point temp, goes higher than the set point temp and then the set point reads "Off".

Any help will be very much appreciated. The GC has been down for weeks now.

I suspect the heat sensor though I read online that it could also be a software issue. Maybe a re-installation will fix it?

You might be better starting a new thread of you own rather than resurrecting this old one. Anyway, you may have a software problem. If a re-install does not fix it you may be able to work around it by letting the temperature overshoot as it does now, waiting for a few minutes and the turning the heater back on again - if you are lucky it will be close enough to the set point for the proportional control to kick in and keep it there.

Peter
Peter Apps
Hi Peter, I started another thread immediately after posting

I searched the computer for RapidControl.InstrumentConfig.xml files in Chem32/1/..... deleted them and went back online. Got it working for a while. Next morning, I had the same issue. I suspect a software issue also.

I got that fix off an agilent blog post.
19 posts Page 2 of 2