Carlo Erba Manuals

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

Does anyone have a copy of a Carlo Erba HRGC5300 mega series manual? FPD500 manual?

I tried searching the forum but I did not find anything. I contacted CE Instruments LTD but they said that it is so old that they don't have even a paper copy they could sell.

Help me Obi-Wan. You are my only hope.
Does anyone have experience with fiddling these 5300 units? I think I know how to set the oven temperature which is by keeping the "SB & 1" button pressed and setting the temperature with the numpad and enter. To my understanding the oven should start to heat up if I set a temperature above ambient. However the oven led array (Limit, Ready, Cond, Cool, Power) has the Cond led lit and nothing happens. The same applies to the zone temperature setting, there just is only the ready led and nothing ever gets to the above ambient temperature setting. The oven fan doesn't start.

What does Cond stand for?
TestRig wrote:
What does Cond stand for?

conditioning ?
Is there a ''heat '' button on the keypad ?
Some old model GCs have a seperate heater activation button to start the heating process.
There is no separate heat button in the unit. I also think that Cond stands for conditioning meaning that the unit is trying to get there but not just there yet. I was wondering could it have referred to a Condition that needs to be met before heating can start.

As I am not a very skilled person I have not been able to restore the thing into original operational condition. There is an array of PCB:s withing the box marked 500/km, 5300/LT, 5300/LC, DTPL 530, DTPL 530, 5300/PS.

The two DTPL530 cards are not similar. The first one from the left seems to be the oven temperature controller card. And the second one is for the Zone heaters. There is another card marked 500/AC that is not part of the array. This card has the optocouplers to separate the high voltage side from the low voltage electronics.

Apparently the temperatures should be controlled by the 5300/LC card from orders given by the DTPL cards. But this does not happen. There are blinking LEDs that give indication what kind of pulsation should go to the optocouplers so as I am not patient enough I though that if I just highjack this I would be able to drive the oven with out the 5300/LC card. Turns out the DTPL530 card and the 500/AC card had some 40v ground potential difference which I did not measure until too late and I probably broke something.

After spending far too much time with this I think it is time to give up and replace the low voltage parts with modern components.
5 posts Page 1 of 1