He grade A as carrier

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I appreciate there have been many discussions about this, as this is an issue for many of us, but I am wondering whether any of you use Helium grade A as GC carrier.

We are currently using CP grade with O2/moisture scrubbers (Agilent Gas Clean). Our lab uses GC-FID to analyse congeners in whisky samples on a CP-Wax column. Our current detection limit is around 0.1g/100L. I am thinking about ways to keep using Helium as carrier but reduce costs and improve supply.

Thank you!
Julie18 wrote:
Hello,

I appreciate there have been many discussions about this, as this is an issue for many of us, but I am wondering whether any of you use Helium grade A as GC carrier.

We are currently using CP grade with O2/moisture scrubbers (Agilent Gas Clean). Our lab uses GC-FID to analyse congeners in whisky samples on a CP-Wax column. Our current detection limit is around 0.1g/100L. I am thinking about ways to keep using Helium as carrier but reduce costs and improve supply.

Thank you!

Wax columns are prone to deterioration by oxidation.
You should calculate whether savings on gas grade won't be consumed by frequent gas traps replacements.
Julie18 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!

Switch to H2 from generator.
Definitely clean and O2-free.
antonk wrote:
Julie18 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!

Switch to H2 from generator.
Definitely clean and O2-free.

Even H2 from cylinders is less expensive than the He.

We use high grade He and H2 (He for the Mass Spec work) but still use scrubbers on all the lines just in case.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Thanks to all for your reply. I am thinking about switching to H2 at some point but am looking for something in the short-term, as we are struggling with our CP grade supply of Helium. My GC knowledge is pretty basic and the switch of carrier gas sounds quite daunting.
Julie18 wrote:
Thanks to all for your reply. I am thinking about switching to H2 at some point but am looking for something in the short-term, as we are struggling with our CP grade supply of Helium. My GC knowledge is pretty basic and the switch of carrier gas sounds quite daunting.

https://www.peakscientific.com/discover ... as-for-gc/

Btw N2 is a very good carrier for Whiskey congeners
https://doi.org/10.1007/s11694-023-01868-x
In our lab we use the ultra high purity He. I think it's 99.9995% with the Agilent inline filter. Never considered H2 due to reactivity concerns.
OP is using a GC-FID system? I am running a 6890 GC-FID system and using UHP hydrogen as the carrier gas. It works very well. You still plumb hydrogen, air, and nitrogen for the FID detector.
8 posts Page 1 of 1