SPME and hydrogen as carrier gas

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear all,

has somebody experience with SPME (in GC/MS) with hydrogen as carrier gas?
Is it compatible?

Kind regards
Christian
Dear all,
I just got an answer from Aldrich/Merck saying that the hydrogen is compatible with the SPME fiber that is composed of Divinylbenzol/Carboxen/Polydimethylsiloxan: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/CH/de/product/supelco/57328u(DVB/CAR/PDMS).
I assume the hydrogen gas is also compatible with other SPME fibers.

Are there any users here who have experience with SPME and hydrogen gas as carrier gas?
How is the quality and signal intensity?
I would expect sharper peaks to the typically higher flow (when compared to He as carrier gas) that might compensate the loss of sensitivity.
Kind regards
Christian
Hello everyone,

I just got the link to this publication (analysis of plant volatiles) contradicting Aldrichs information: https://analyticalsciencejournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/pca.3096
The fibers do influence hydrogenation. The authors recommend parallel analyses with He and H2 carrier gases when developing HS-SPME-GC analyses for plant volatiles.
I guess this will be also an issue for food aroma molecules.

Greetings Christian
3 posts Page 1 of 1