HP/Agilent 5890 Data Apex Clarity "OVER" signal

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Our Data Apex Clarity software that we use on our HP 5890 GC-FID has started showing the "OVER" signal, and just displaying a response at some 8kV, well in excess of the typical baseline.

I suspect it may be a communication issue, but the last time by re-specifying the COM Ports again has not cleared up the issue.

Any ideas on how to restore the normal operating conditions again?

Many Thanks
What does the signal on the instrument's display read at?

There is a setting under Method -> Acquisition where you can set the Range and rate. Maybe that got changed?

In any case, Data Apex has always been good about emailing me back when I had questions, so you might just want to talk to them directly.
Hi,

The signal is displaying a non-fluctuating response of 8kV.

I looked at changing the Range (set at 10,000mV) to something lower (156mV), but it has had no effect.

The rate is not able to be changed at 10Hz.

I have e-mailed Data Apex Support for assistance.

If there are any other ideas, please let me know,

Thanks.
The FID detector seems short circuit , you may disassemble the detector and clean it.
Alps_hiker wrote:
Hi,

The signal is displaying a non-fluctuating response of 8kV.

I looked at changing the Range (set at 10,000mV) to something lower (156mV), but it has had no effect.

The rate is not able to be changed at 10Hz.

I have e-mailed Data Apex Support for assistance.

If there are any other ideas, please let me know,

Thanks.

Definitely sounds like a problem with the detector and not the software.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Hi all,

Fortunately, following advice from our instrument service contractors, the problem was moisture droplets in the FID, which resulted in the short-circuit and the maximum signal being constantly displayed (8kV).

Thanks for your advice on the issue.
6 posts Page 1 of 1