Argon as the carrier gas.

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I would like to ask for your comments on the argon used as a carrier gas - optimal velocity, used pressures. There is not much to find in Google. I found only the calculator for GC from Agilent, according to him the optimal velocity is about 10 cm/s.

Regards
greg07 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to ask for your comments on the argon used as a carrier gas - optimal velocity, used pressures. There is not much to find in Google. I found only the calculator for GC from Agilent, according to him the optimal velocity is about 10 cm/s.

Regards

You will find pressures there as well :-)
greg07 wrote:
Hello,

Regards

10 cm/s is pretty slow about 1/3 of helium. Obviously it cannot be used for MSD work.

Why not use nitrogen a bit faster and cheaper than Argon?

Or, if you are OK with it hydrogen gas. Fast, efficient.
Back when I was using Ar in quantity to run my ICP-MS; I also used Ar as the carrier gas for my GC-FID instrument. It worked OK for that.

However, very bad gas to try for GC-MS. Argon quenches and skews the intensities of compound fragmentation. Pure argon for P&T and carrier gas pretty much makes GC-MS unuseable.
We recently received three tanks of Helium contaminated with Argon, yes it is terrible on the GCMS with purge and trap even at ppm levels.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1