Trying to make a HP5890A Series 2 and HP 5970 MSD work.

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I am trying to set up a HP5890A Series 2 and HP 5970 MSD together, however, I've run into a few key issues. First, I don't have the required software because I bought it from a university that took the drive out of the included computer. In addition, I'm also not sure how to connect a column to the HP 5970, as I cannot find any manuals or resources on it. That probably covers most of the problems that I'm ready to address now, although there is a laundry list more. I've contacted Agilent about it, and it's far too old of a setup for them to be of any help. If someone who knows something about this could help, I would greatly appreciate it.
I may be able to help you with the software. Send me an email at sschoe2[at]yahoo.com. I have Chemstation MSD G1701BA sp2 which will run on Windows 2000. I know it will run a 5890 am pretty sure it can run the 5970 MSD.
MSCHemist wrote:
I may be able to help you with the software. Send me an email at sschoe2[at]yahoo.com. I have Chemstation MSD G1701BA sp2 which will run on Windows 2000. I know it will run a 5890 am pretty sure it can run the 5970 MSD.

Will that require the SmartCard II or SmartCard III for the 5970?

I had the 5970 manual in a pdf somewhere. I lost my laptops during the tornado but maybe it is still in my gmail archives. If I can find it I will let you know.

These will be connected with HP-IB cables to the PC, so will need that card or an adapter from USB to HPIB (also known as GP-IB) but not sure the software will play nice with a USB adapter.

The column slides into the interface, which is the part sticking out on the right hand side, just put the column in until it stops then draw back about 2mm before tightening the nut and ferrule. These were simple because you didn't need to measure, the column would stop when it hit the inside of the repeller.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
It looks like it requires Smartcard II for G1701BA hopefully it has it.
https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/supp ... 05241a.pdf

I notice I can't find the archive with old versions of HP I/O Libraries. I use H.01.02.00 but don't have the installation file. Anyone know where it can be obtained?
I do remember that the Smart Card II from the 5970 and 5971 are interchangeable. When our 5970 died I used it to upgrade our first 5971 so it would run with the W95 and up versions of MSDChemstation instead of the W311 version.
Wow Windows 3.1 with DOS. My first computer 30 years ago was a 486sx 33mhz with Windows 3.1.
MSCHemist wrote:
Wow Windows 3.1 with DOS. My first computer 30 years ago was a 486sx 33mhz with Windows 3.1.

Started with Atari 800xl, first after school was 286 with dos.
I found the archive of HP IO Libraries
https://www.keysight.com/us/en/lib/soft ... 75637.html

click on previous versions and scroll down. I use H version.
https://www.aimanalytical.com/Manuals/c ... matrix.pdf

according the above chart The 5970 (assuming it has smartcard 2) needs g1701AA on Windows 95 or 3.11 depending on the revision. Hopefully he has Smart card II and KM-USA or someone can hook him up with G1701AA.
MSCHemist wrote:
https://www.aimanalytical.com/Manuals/chemstation%20software%20compatibility%20matrix.pdf

according the above chart The 5970 (assuming it has smartcard 2) needs g1701AA on Windows 95 or 3.11 depending on the revision. Hopefully he has Smart card II and KM-USA or someone can hook him up with G1701AA.

I had that on 3.5" floppies until a couple years ago when a "purge" happened while I was on vacation. :(
MSCHemist wrote:
https://www.aimanalytical.com/Manuals/chemstation%20software%20compatibility%20matrix.pdf

He has received an ISO Image of G1701AA from me.

Last E-mail I got, he was loading that and looking for his Agilent license code; he may need help from someone here if he cannot locate that.
I am trying to set up a HP5890A Series 2 and HP 5970 MSD together.
However I have run into a few key issues.

First I don't have the required software because I bought it from a university that took the drive out of the included computer.

In addition I am also not sure how to connect a column to the HP 5970 as I cannot find any manuals or resources on it.

That probably covers most of the problems that I am ready to address now although there is a laundry list more.

I have contacted Agilent about it and it's far too old of a setup for them to be of any help.

If someone who knows something about this could help I would greatly appreciate it.
I believe the column on the 5972 and before hooks up like an FID only you use the MSD nuts with the graphite vespel ferrule pointed away from the detector. The column goes in until it hits the end then you back off 1-3mm and tighten it up. Starting with the 5973 the column went right into the msd source area 1mm past the end of the transferline which improved sensitivity. I think Alpha Omega or someone had an upgrade for the 5972 interface that did that allowed the column to slide into that position, not sure if it is available for the 70.

I can't help you with G1701AA registration number unless the BA one works.
MSCHemist wrote:
I believe the column on the 5972 and before hooks up like an FID only you use the MSD nuts with the graphite vespel ferrule pointed away from the detector. The column goes in until it hits the end then you back off 1-3mm and tighten it up.

Yes. That's how one installed the columns in both our 5971 and our 5972.
MSCHemist wrote:
I believe the column on the 5972 and before hooks up like an FID only you use the MSD nuts with the graphite vespel ferrule pointed away from the detector. The column goes in until it hits the end then you back off 1-3mm and tighten it up. Starting with the 5973 the column went right into the msd source area 1mm past the end of the transferline which improved sensitivity. I think Alpha Omega or someone had an upgrade for the 5972 interface that did that allowed the column to slide into that position, not sure if it is available for the 70.

I can't help you with G1701AA registration number unless the BA one works.

5970 was totally different, the column actually enters the back side of the repeller which has 4 holes in it. Instead of making a 90 degree turn in flow like the newer models do, the column is in line with the quads so it goes right through the repeller and straight down the analyzer.

The 5995 had the same source as the 5970 except it added a heater to the repeller that heated the source like the 5973 and up.
15 posts Page 1 of 1