Static-Headspace extraction questions

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am recently trying to analyze some volatile compounds by static-headspace GC-MS.

I made standard stock solution using HPLC grade water.

What if I increase equilibration temperature above 100℃ (water boiling point)?

Is it okay to increase the temperature till 85℃, while using water as solvent?

I think it is not appropriate to increase the temperature because of water boiling point, however, my target compound's boiling point is way higher than water's boiling point.
Welcome to the forum

What kind of headspace sampler are you using, and what is the boiling point of your target analyte ? If it's boiling point really is way above that of water it may more be suitable for heaspace analysis.

Peter
Peter Apps
As long as you analytes evaporate, you don't need to go to their boiling point. My typical HS temperature tends to be 50 - 85C max, otherwise the syringe lasts not very long or you have problems with the solvent, since you over pressurize the vapor phase.

Regards,
Ingo
Autosampler Guys

Hyunsu wrote:
Hi, I am recently trying to analyze some volatile compounds by static-headspace GC-MS.

I made standard stock solution using HPLC grade water.

What if I increase equilibration temperature above 100℃ (water boiling point)?

Is it okay to increase the temperature till 85℃, while using water as solvent?

I think it is not appropriate to increase the temperature because of water boiling point, however, my target compound's boiling point is way higher than water's boiling point.
Autosampler Guys LLC
ingo@autosamplerguys.com
703/780-1500 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              703/780-1500      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
3 posts Page 1 of 1