Trace GC Ultra clogged purge line.

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I've got a Thermo Trace GC Ultra with a SSL inlet. I was having problems with inlet side leaks and took everything apart as I was convinced I might have a bad purge valve or something. In the course of this I tried to clean out the vent and purge lines and found that I can't get any solvent (or gas, as far as I can tell) through the septum purge line. Photo if the inlet is linked. As you can see, we've got one continuous welded line from the inlet to the gang fitting. The purge line is the uppermost tube going into the inlet that you can see in the photo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YAY9jB ... sp=sharing

Does anyone have any experience getting one of these unclogged? Jacking up the pressure on the inlet and shutting off the split vent didn't do it, and sonicating the whole thing in DCM or methanol doesn't seem to have helped (though if it's got a plug I have no idea whether any solvent has actually gotten in there. Will this line build up oxidation, and if so is that something I might be able to get out with mild acetic or phosphoric?

Last option since I don't know where the clog is: Does anyone know if this is normal 1/16th stainless tubing I could cut into and patch with new tubing and a couple of compression fittings? Or is it special flow restricting line that I'd screw up if I tried to replace?

Thanks all.

Matt Wolhowe
U of Washington
Purge line has at max input pressure and at min - atmosphere.
I think you cut it in parts, even insert filter to prevent purge regulator problems.

Have you tried mechanical cleaning - i.e. thin steel wire?
I faced the same problem .

You may cut the line in half , connect the ends one by one to an HPLC pump with a fingertight fitting ,and pump water , then methanol.

This way you can clean the line , then connect the tubings with 1/16'' HPLC union .
3 posts Page 1 of 1