Setup new organic analysis lab

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We're to setup a new labo and we plan to analysis VOC. I fear to be contaminated with the fresh paint acoustic panel etc... Do you have some tips to give to us to avoid some errors.

How long does it take for VOCs to dissipate from paint?

Thank you!
bromidelab wrote:
How long does it take for VOCs to dissipate from paint?

Most paints thee days are water-based, so very low on VOCs.

My grandpa was a house painter, used oil-based paints and stuff like benzene to clean brushes, lived until his mid-90s. I hate painting (never learned any paint stuff from him), but paint a room or so every year to remind myself that I was fortunate not to have to do something like that to feed my family, like he did....
Some adhesives used in construction, especially floor tiles, may contain 1,1,1-trichloroethane.
Newer formulations shouldn't, but it would be a good idea to check in on construction materials to see which products are being used. For our lab anything like that is preapproved by an analyst that will use the area.
Worst problem we had with volatiles is if someone does plumbing work and uses PVC glue on pipes. The Acetone/2-butanone in that hangs around a long time in the water before it gets completely flushed out, and it can get into the air also.

Air flow is the trick to getting rid of any paint volatiles, if the room is sealed, it will take a long time to get rid of it, if you have a fume hood and good intake air you can probably flush out any volatiles fairly quickly.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
4 posts Page 1 of 1