Agilent HP 5890 ii GC collector assembly measurements

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello there, I recently purchased a HP 5890 ii for a very low price however it is missing the collector assembly. To be specific, it is missing the igniter castle, collector body, collector nut, as well as the upper and lower collector insulators. Due to the fact that I bought the GC at such a low price I just can't justify spending 4x as much as I paid for the GC itself on just these parts. Because of this I intend to machine the parts myself since I have access to a lathe, milling machine, ect. The only issue is I could not find any specs/measurements on them so I was wondering if a kind soul on here had them. What I am asking for is the exact measurements of thickness and bore sizes that would be sufficient for me to make these parts.
I would try to find used parts.
Shouldn't it be easier to justify spending money if you got a great deal on the GC? :) It would be interesting to hear how machining the parts goes, though.
You're talking about an FID? Could you make a diagram of each part, and label / number the measurements you'd need from each? That would make it quick and easy to take and record the measurements without the hassle of trying to describe what each was.
MichaelVW wrote:
Shouldn't it be easier to justify spending money if you got a great deal on the GC? :) It would be interesting to hear how machining the parts goes, though.
You're talking about an FID? Could you make a diagram of each part, and label / number the measurements you'd need from each? That would make it quick and easy to take and record the measurements without the hassle of trying to describe what each was.

Yes I suppose that is true its just even with these part it will still be uhh "fun" to try to get it working with open source software. If I am unable to get it to work then by making the parts, its not too much money down the drain. Plus making them sounds fun. Yup, its an FID, I drew out a sheet, let me know it there is anything missing.
Measurements in mm. I'll leave the rounding up to you.

1) 18.97
2) 7.98
3) 14.96
4) 13.1
3+4 measured) 27.98
5) 24.75
6) 16.56
7) 6.29 (exterior)
8) 17.33
9) 5.01
10) 47.25
11) 24.67
12) 5.00 (interior)
13) 22.09

The tube that runs through part #8 is not the same interior diameter from top to bottom. The top (short end) is about 5mm the entire way down to the central ring. The bottom opening starts the same size, but tapers quickly to a smaller diameter. I'm not sure how exactly to measure that, but I sat a 4.5mm BB in there and it won't go through - it sits comfortably with about 2/3rds of it visible. Something something geometry.

You probably can't tell from the diagram but the solid cylinder (measurement 9) has a concave bevel around the outside.
Alright! So here's what I have done: Image
It was all done in a lathe, made with brass, pretty easy. However instead of milling it with the tube, I just made a hole and ordered the right sized tubing because it was so thin it would have collapsed in the lathe. I did end up buying the detector so I wont end up making the detector castle, however it will be interesting to see how the homemade collector compares to the real thing. Also I realized the other picture I uploaded wasn't permanent so I'll upload it again on the chance anybody would like to make it themselves. Image
6 posts Page 1 of 1