N2 makeup gas flow won't stabilize (too high)

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have a new Agilent 8890 GC that has been giving me a lot of trouble considering it is a new instrument.

One thing I just noticed yesterday was that the instrument would not stabilize and kept saying make up gas not ready. I checked and my makeup was set to 2 mL/min but the actual flow was 2.4 mL/min. I can set the flow higher than the 2.4 and get the instrument to ready, or turn off the make up and get it to ready, but for whatever reason I cannot get the make up flow to go below the 2.4. Any ideas?
Does it specify a range that it will support? I don't think I have ever seen anything that uses only 2ml/min of makeup flow.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
Does it specify a range that it will support? I don't think I have ever seen anything that uses only 2ml/min of makeup flow.

The range is between 0 and 100. I agree the 2 seemed low but the method was developed by a custom solution group and the main thing I'm concerned with is that it was running at 2 ml/min just fine up until this week. Trying to determine what caused the change.

The unit is only about 6 months old and has been giving me a lot of trouble and this is just the latest example of unknown changes.
AFAIK Agilent flow regulators is actually a pressure controller with appropriate restrictor placed at output.
Probably it is not tightened well. Check your tubing.
jwf239,

A suggestion - turn off the hydrogen and air to the detector and see if the make-up can get to it's set point.

Best regards,

AICMM
JWF239 wrote:
James_Ball wrote:

The range is between 0 and 100. I agree the 2 seemed low but the method was developed by a custom solution group and the main thing I'm concerned with is that it was running at 2 ml/min just fine up until this week. Trying to determine what caused the change.

The unit is only about 6 months old and has been giving me a lot of trouble and this is just the latest example of unknown changes.

You are stressing over a pointless quirk in a method. Presuming that this is an instrument with an FID, 2 ml/min of makeup flow will make no difference at all to anything, as long as the column is properly installed. How long was the warranty on the instrument ?
Peter Apps
6 posts Page 1 of 1