How did we get 0.53mm i.d. columns

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Here is another side of the story. When Agilent was part of Hewlett Packard, R&D engineers were encouraged to visit other divisions of the company. Engineers from the GC division where visiting one of the divisions involved in fiber optic development and where shown the flexible tubing. An engineer from the GC group then asked "Can you put a hole in it?", and the reply was "Yes". The GC group was then supplied a few weeks later with sample tubing, so it is possible that tubing sizes where initially dependent on what the fiber optics where using at the time.

Gasman
coinshen wrote:
I bought a Varian 3800 GC with 2 FIDs, no PC. I'm trying to connect it to a PC (probably 6 years old - can't find the old one) is an AMD processor with W7 32bit on it, Wxp installed in VMware.
The GC has a BNC network connector on the back and on the PC. Do I need some other parts to make it work?
I have Star 6.4.1 and want to install the network and ADC board but can't get any info.

I'm not a web expert, any help is appreciated!https://www.baudcom.com.cn/

You are not going to get an answer to that question in this thread. Post it as a new thread.
Peter Apps
GasMan wrote:
Here is another side of the story. When Agilent was part of Hewlett Packard, R&D engineers were encouraged to visit other divisions of the company. Engineers from the GC division where visiting one of the divisions involved in fiber optic development and where shown the flexible tubing. An engineer from the GC group then asked "Can you put a hole in it?", and the reply was "Yes". The GC group was then supplied a few weeks later with sample tubing, so it is possible that tubing sizes where initially dependent on what the fiber optics where using at the time.

Gasman

You reminded me similar story from the era of the USSR and the US technology competition.
US engineers presented the thinnest copper wire in the world. USSR engineers were impressed but didn't want to show their backwardness so they said they could drill that wire. The last word were from the US engineers. They said if they got drilled wire they would tap an inner thread along the entire lenght of the wire.
As oposed to your story the US engineers never got drilled wire from the USSR engineers :-)
18 posts Page 2 of 2