Different methods give the same result

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I am working on cuticular waxes. I have been using GC-FID to find the compounds, but now I need GC-MS to define them. However, the columns are different. HP-1 column is used for GC-FID (Agilent 8860), while DB-1MS column is used for GC-MS (Agilent 8890 GC - 7010 B GC/TQ). The other column option I can use for the GC-MS is DB-5MS, but I was told that DB-1 and DB-5 are not too much different. Thus, I searched papers related to cuticular waxes in which one of those columns used, and load several methods, including my own method that I used on GC-FID. However, the results are all almost the same!!! I couldn't find what the problem is! I also tried two of my friends' methods although they test different things. One of them could give a baseline, but there is no peak I want to define. I attached a photo of the "common result" and the result done with my friend's method.

Could you please inform me what I can be doing wrong? Why do I get the same weird graph?

Please let me know if more information is needed to solve the problem.

The Common Result:

The Result from Friend's Method:

(The photos cannot be loaded here, but opening them in a new window after right click works)
The attachments will not open. If you analyse the same sample using different methods the results are supposed to be the same.
Peter Apps
Thanks, Peter.

The figures had a baseline with lots of bleeding. I have realized that the column is connected to the back inlet, but the software automatically chose the front inlet. As I am a new user, I couldn't see this problem by myself. Fortunately, it was an easy-to-solve problem.

Best.
3 posts Page 1 of 1