Samples with sulfur - how to remove

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello guys

I not able to cleaning the autosampler syringe. I believe the SO2 (sulfur dioxide) from the sample (wine) are getting durty. Do you know how to remove SO2 from the wine? Maybe some kind of sample preparation... I was looking something using zinc acetate, to form a precipitate.
Nowadays, my commom sample preparation is distill the sample.

Somebody with work with samples with sulfur.. any idea?

Thank you
We use copper powder mixed with the sample to remove sulfur. You wash the copper powder with sulfuric acid to brighten it, then was with water to remove the acid before using it. Add the powder to the sample and shake, the sulfur will react and the copper turns black or very dark in color, then you only need to filter it out of the sample.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
We use copper powder mixed with the sample to remove sulfur. You wash the copper powder with sulfuric acid to brighten it, then was with water to remove the acid before using it. Add the powder to the sample and shake, the sulfur will react and the copper turns black or very dark in color, then you only need to filter it out of the sample.

Thank you so much James!

I'll try do that.
Do you know if this processes removes just the fulfur as an ion or also the sulfur as SO2 (sulfur dioxide)?
I know it removes elemental sulfur including the S8 form. It may also react with the SO2.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
I know it removes elemental sulfur including the S8 form. It may also react with the SO2.

Thank you so much
5 posts Page 1 of 1