6850 GC FID Detector Mismatch

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all we have a 6850 that is intermittently not achieving ready status. The FID detector temperature reads 0, not recognizing gas flows, and a method resolution report shows Configuration Mismatch : Detector, we have resolved the method, saved and error will re appear. In the GC parameters its showing as an FID. Cycling GC power and restarting Chemstation will work, and we can make 3-4 runs or a sequence, but after a random run it will not ready. I checked the small fan/temp probe cables are connected and I removed the electrometer and inspected the detector. All looks clean and well connected.

I suspect its a networking issue, as this GC (GC2) was recently added to our Chemstation via BootP using an external networking switch, its a used GC from another lab and I added it myself. We can run both GCs (another 6850) concurrently. So theres definitely an opportunity for error. Thoughts or comments appreciated!
AZBiodiesel wrote:
Hi all we have a 6850 that is intermittently not achieving ready status. The FID detector temperature reads 0, not recognizing gas flows, and a method resolution report shows Configuration Mismatch : Detector, we have resolved the method, saved and error will re appear. In the GC parameters its showing as an FID. Cycling GC power and restarting Chemstation will work, and we can make 3-4 runs or a sequence, but after a random run it will not ready. I checked the small fan/temp probe cables are connected and I removed the electrometer and inspected the detector. All looks clean and well connected.

I suspect its a networking issue, as this GC (GC2) was recently added to our Chemstation via BootP using an external networking switch, its a used GC from another lab and I added it myself. We can run both GCs (another 6850) concurrently. So theres definitely an opportunity for error. Thoughts or comments appreciated!

We have been able to run up to 4 6890 GCs concurrently on the same PC with network switch so unless the switch is bad or one of the network cards, unless the two GCs have the same IP address there shouldn't be a problem.

I would think it is more a problem with the electrometer board communicating with the main board or the gas controller board possibly. Can you switch either of those between the two GCs and see if the problem follows?
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James thank you I will try your suggestion, I also noticed today that the detector can't hit the temp setpoint, 250C, its showing 393C on Chemstation readout but the detector housing is at ambient temp, or very slow to warm. It also auto turns off the heater (but not gasses), and setpoint defaults to 0C before resolving the method again.

This was after re uploading the GC configuration from the unit & resolving the method. Definitely something hardware related. Will look into causes of detector not hitting temp setpoint.

Thanks,
Hi,

If you suspect your FID heater sensor cable, you can simply use a multimeter to confirm that. I did make a video detailing how to do that in just a couple of minutes. Below is the link on youtube

https://youtu.be/DKmt3qStjwA

Hope this helps,

Peter.
Peter,

Thanks for the excellent video and guidance. I removed the heater/sensor assembly and got 238 ohms resistance at ambient temp, that equates to 375C. Luckily I didn't burn my hand :lol:
A new assembly has been ordered, Agilent PN G1531-61140/G1530-67950, Restek PN 27200, VWR PN 10803-422

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Great to hear that. Hope the new assembly fixes your issue.

Peter.
Peter,

Yes GC working great again.

Thanks for your help!
7 posts Page 1 of 1