5890 ignitor operation/schematic

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Does anybody have any insight into how specifically the 5890 ignitor works?

I'm trying to remote control my 5890 and the ignitor is giving me a perplexing problem. The gases are already hooked up remotely through valves and relays. Not going to try and install EPC and I have an EPC 6890 but it isn't an option to just use that GC.

The Agilent schematic shows it's basically a push button short to ground. So, I should be able to just connect the two wires and fire up the glow plug by activating a relay.

That works to ignite the flame. The glow plug glows and I see the usual condensation.

But, I have limited to no signal. I still need to press the ignitor button to get a signal. If the signal units are in mV, it's 0mV off, 1-1.5mV flame lit, and 20mV flame lit and signal.

I even disconnected the glow plug wires from the ignitor, shorted them to light the flame, and, with the ignitor button wires disconnected, I still have to press the button. And when I do so, I hear a slight pop. But since the glow plug is disconnected from the button and the detector is already lit, that pop has nothing to do with actually lighting the flame.

As far as I can tell, the manifold, including the gas valves and ignitor button, has just the gas lines and the two wires going through the diodes to the glow plug.

So I am thoroughly perplexed.

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Never mind. I figured it out.

Pressing the ignitor button restricts/reduces the flow of the air going to the detector. So the flame may have been lit, but not lit in the right place.

I get the same effect if I dial down the air knob on the manifold.
2 posts Page 1 of 1