Newly acquired Varian 3900

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

26 posts Page 2 of 2
GCguy226 wrote:
TroyJam wrote:
Hi,
Just getting into the GC arena and I have acquired a Varian 3900 GC with a trashed workstation.. Now I looking for some software to control it.

Looking for an old version of Star, MS workstation, Galaxie or any software that works !!

Anyone who can help me source a copy or point me in the right direction for a free / almost free alternative.

Thanks

Hi, I recently was able to get a version of MS work station to work on windows 10 computer and connect to my varian 3800 as well as a 2200 MS. Honestly, the process was pretty complicated but I've done it multiple times now and have got it down pretty well. If you still need help let me know and I can get you the files and explain how to install them. It works on older versions of windows as well.

Excellent, I would love to talk to you a little about this, what is the best way for you to communicate..
johnelling wrote:
I can put the workstation software version 6.30 up on a cloud drive somewhere if you need it, along with the registration code. let me know

Thanks, I will be in touch !!
I was playing with my 3900/2100 a few weeks ago with a modicum of success, albeit more related to getting it to tune properly and not actually related to communication.

I'm not aware of any service switch on the GC itself.

Normally service switches are seen on MSs-both my Varians(2100d and 300-TQ) have them, as does my Finnigan LCQ Duo. Basically what the service switch does-generally speaking-is leave the vacuum system active(rough and hi-vac pumps) while shutting down the rest of the instrument electronics. It's used to safely work on the electronics without having to vent the vac system.

On my 2100, and presumably also the related models, it's located under the MS top cover on the top right rear side. There's a row of LEDs just beyond it, and IIRC there should be 6 or 7 lit with the switch in the "operating" position and only one or two if the switch is set to the service position.
TroyJam wrote:
GCguy226 wrote:
TroyJam wrote:
Hi,
Just getting into the GC arena and I have acquired a Varian 3900 GC with a trashed workstation.. Now I looking for some software to control it.

Looking for an old version of Star, MS workstation, Galaxie or any software that works !!

Anyone who can help me source a copy or point me in the right direction for a free / almost free alternative.

Thanks

Hi, I recently was able to get a version of MS work station to work on windows 10 computer and connect to my varian 3800 as well as a 2200 MS. Honestly, the process was pretty complicated but I've done it multiple times now and have got it down pretty well. If you still need help let me know and I can get you the files and explain how to install them. It works on older versions of windows as well.

Excellent, I would love to talk to you a little about this, what is the best way for you to communicate..

Hi Troy,

Give me an email at service@aasystems.com and I can help you more directly from there.
Hey guys,
I have a similar issue with a micro CP4900 and looking for the software? any advise?
kkakosim wrote:
Hey guys,
I have a similar issue with a micro CP4900 and looking for the software? any advise?

Hi there,
If you would like to email me at service@aasystems.com in order to discuss your problem further. I look forward to hearing from you!
Thank you @GCguy226. I was lucky to find my original CD (v1.9) and keys so I was able to install it. However, I know have a new issue. I have posted my new question at a relevant post.
Hi,

Just inherited a Varian 450-GC and Galaxie original software. The Galaxie serial number was passed on but the Varian-GC driver serial number not. Can anybody help please?

Thanks
GCguy226 wrote:
TroyJam wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Hi, I have to upgrade our PC's to windows 10 and we have a lot of 3800 GC withs ms workstation. How did you manage to do this ? My Chief tried to do it but no success. Now it's my turn to try. Sorry if my english is not as good as yours. I'm french. Thanks in advance for the reply
deenass wrote:

Hi, I have to upgrade our PC's to windows 10 and we have a lot of 3800 GC withs ms workstation. How did you manage to do this ? My Chief tried to do it but no success. Now it's my turn to try. Sorry if my english is not as good as yours. I'm french. Thanks in advance for the reply

Our UniChrom supports 3800 on all Windows and Linux.
https://www.unichrom.com/3800/cp3800e.shtml

Offtopic: Before getting Varian Galaxie / Star Workstation this software was called "Diamir" and was written in France
antonk wrote:
deenass wrote:

Our UniChrom supports 3800 on all Windows and Linux.
https://www.unichrom.com/3800/cp3800e.shtml

Offtopic: Before getting Varian Galaxie / Star Workstation this software was called "Diamir" and was written in France

Hi. thanks for the reply and I wish you all a happy new year. I will see with the lab if this software is OK for them.
Thanks also for the offtopic information ! I wasn't aware of this. Also, no way to use Star workstation with windows 10 ?
26 posts Page 2 of 2