GC-TCD issues

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Good evening all,

I am hoping to get some advice on how to go about optimising analysis using GC-TCD (Varian CP3800), Helium carrier gas.

I have a method set up for analysis of methane, ethane and CO2. I have a valve switch at 1.6 min that retains Oxygen, Nitrogen and Hydrogen on my molsieve column. Methane is eluted from my Haysep Q column at 1.7 min, CO2 at 2.8 min and ethane 5.8 min. A valve switch at 8.3 min is followed by Oxygen and Nitrogen eluting from the molsieve column at 9.5 and 10 min respectively.

I will need to tweak the protocol to allow for the analysis of propane (when standards arrive). My main issue is having spent a week setting up this protocol, my supervisor is hoping that my limit of detection for ethane is around 500 ppm. Currently, I cannot detect ethane at levels lower than 1000 ppm. As this is my first experience of using GC-TCD I am not really sure if there is a way to improve my limit of detection with my existing columns. If someone could confirm that this is the case, or suggest a different option I would be very grateful.

My second issue is, having set up the above protocol I have been asked if I will be able to calibrate for H2. My understanding is that this will be impossible using Helium as a carrier gas.

I have access to Argon as a carrier gas, which would make H2 analysis possible, however am I naive in thinking I could just switch carrier gases from one to to the next depending on whether I need to analyse H2 or alkane gases?

With thanks,
Rich

https://imgur.com/a/oO9o3Vk
You can change sample loop - if you have 1cm3 loop for example, try to replace this loop by 2cm3 loop. Or you can increase bridge current. And optimal gas flow.
Apologies for the late reply. I hope you were able to figure out the method development issues. My company has years of experience with GC-TCDs and hydrocarbon/natural gas analyses. If you ever encounter future problems, keep us in mind and would gladly provide a consultation.

service@aasystems.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1