Does lactose monohydrate convert to lactose after drying?

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
If I dry lactose monohydrate at 60°C for 12 hours, will it become just lactose?

I am trying to determine if I should use the molecular weight of lactose monohydrate or lactose when performing calculations when using the dried standard.

Also does this apply to all monohydrates after drying?
My educated guess is "no" but I suggest using a balance to be sure.

PS - don't be too surprised if your lactose is a darker shade of off-white after drying.
Thanks,
DR
I would suggest a little research on drying lactose. A quick look at google brought me to this interesting link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjM5eP5p-7pAhXOmeAKHV4sA_0QFjACegQIDRAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfepharma.com%2F-%2Fmedia%2Fdocuments%2Ftechnical-documents%2Ftechnical-papers%2Flactose-some-basic-properties.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1yCRYFPzawQ5CDEY6Pqwo1. (Long story short - after 12 hours at 60 degrees, you should still have the monohydrate. Also the water content depends on the ratio of alpha to beta lactose present - and you have not indicated the source of the lactose. Depending, on your lactose source and the precision and accuracy you need, lactose may be a tricky compound to use as a primary standard.
3 posts Page 1 of 1