how to dissolve NBR (gloves) and PVC

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,

I'm working with polymers and I would like to dissolve PVC and NBR gloves to measure the limit of detection of my Py-GC-supermolecularbeam-MS, because accurately weighing samples in such small amounts is hardly possible. Unfortunately, they are are difficult to dissolve. Nevertheless, I managed to dissolve PVC in ethylmethylketon (under elevated temperatures).

However, the gloves are almost impossible to dissolve. Hopefully, you guys have some tips or tricks.

Many thanks!
We used to dissolve vinyl filters using a nitric or nitric-perchloric digestion. But the "trick" is to add a spike of chromium. I believe we might have also used vanadium with similar result. I think its the multiple valence speciation that does it. Cr just wrecks vinyl in strong acid.

A similar (but different mechanism) "trick" is to add a spike of mercury to make aluminum go rapidly in nitric acid.
It seems that you're trying to dissolve the polymer, not digest it. Is that correct? I haven't ever tried to dissolve NBR but N,N-dimethylformamide or N,N-dimethylacetamide will dissolve PVC. Perhaps it will also dissolve NBR.
3 posts Page 1 of 1