About further clean-up of wastewater samples

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear all,

Hi~ I am using Oasis HLB cartridges to extract my target analytes (pharmaceuticals) from wastewater samples. The recoveries for my target analytes are OK. But the problem is the eluates look too dirty in a color of dark brown or dark green. I just do not want my column and the UPLC-MS/MS receive such samples so just wanna know are there any purification methods recommended from you all. Actually I have already tried Envicarb (black carbon based), only 4 out of 9 analytes could be washed down for analysis.

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,
Kenny WU
Can you give more information about the nature of your analytes, and which solvent composition are they in after SPE?
Rndirk wrote:
Can you give more information about the nature of your analytes, and which solvent composition are they in after SPE?

Sounds like EPA1694 method. I did some last January and my final extracts were light blue from all the Diphenhydramine in the samples, had to dilute them quite a bit. Not any other cleanup listed in the method other than the Solid Phase Extraction, dilution may be the only further step. If you have to inject colored solutions best to use a guard column to catch anything that won't pass through.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
3 posts Page 1 of 1