Wood vinegar preparation

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

32 posts Page 3 of 3
GOM wrote:
Interesting.

Sulphur containing molecules can latch onto stainless steel.

Phenolics may be source of the odour

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/echocommunity ... inegar.pdf

Can't think of anything useful to help clean your syringe - elevated temperature or vacuum may help to increase the evaporation of the volatiles

Might be interesting to take an SPME headspace of the syringe plunger :-)

Regards

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. I have to say that the wood vinegar headspace analysis indicated high levels of phenols, which may explain the odour. I forgot to mention that my SPME of the headspace contained no acetic acid!

I have some free time today, so may take a headspace sample of the syringe plunger!

Cheers,

Joe

BMU_VMW wrote:
if it is just the metal parts that are smelling, why not simply put them in an oven at e.g; 150°C ?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a try today!

Cheers,

Joe
Neat idea about SPMEing the syringe plunger, and a very interesting link, thanks Ralph.

The "vinegar" in the name is public relations spin - its composition is closer to creosote than anything you can put on your fish and chips.

Peter
Peter Apps
32 posts Page 3 of 3