How can I remove the colour (brown) from extract

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
Samples are mytilus (bivalve). Extracts eluted with F1(hexane) F2 (hexane-Dichloromethane) and F3 (Dichloromethane). All fractions combined in extraction flask. After florisil column some of extract colours are brown or light brown, I used H2SO4 and the colour didn't change. I will inject to GC-MS but before injecting how can I remove the clour?
Thanks for all,

Enisssss
Animal (bone) charcoal will probably remove the colour, but will almost certainly ruin the sample in the process by removing lots of other compounds as well, and adding a lot of contaminants.

Whatever you use to remove the colour, you risk having it remove what you are interested in.

I would inject the extracts as they are.

Peter
Peter Apps
I am with Peter on this. I am curious, why is it that you are concerned about the color of the extracts? After all of the hoops you are jumping through to prep your sample, on the surface I'd think that the color would be the least of your worries.

When you perform liquid injections, generally, there is a quite a bit of nonvolatile residue that ends up sitting in the inlet anyway. My experience has been that you have to a lot more maintenance on an inlet that handles liquid injections than a one that primarily handles headspace analysis. It's the nature of the beast.
If you have a certain RL in mind you could always dilute it..

If you did H2SO4 and florisil cleanup and its still brown I'd say you've exhausted your options already..
4 posts Page 1 of 1