How to prepare standard solution for ICP-MS

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, any help will be appreciated

This is the first time I see ICP-MS in our lab. Now I have been asked to do some determination. I would like to prepare standard solution ( working standard ) for my heavy metal determination. I search the net I found some industrial standard reference material such as ( standard in sewage expired in one year etc).

I really don't want to buy these. Is it possible to prepare from salts or how can i obtain standard so that i can determine heavy metals.

Any help with providing guidelines I really take three days reading papers but i did not figure this out

Thanks
Any help ( do u have any change plz :mrgreen: )
This is the kind of question that it is really difficult to deal with on an internet forum.

What is your educational background ? - we need to pitch our answers at a level that will be some use to you. Have you studied any inorganic chemistry ?, analytical chemistry ?. Any experience with analytical instrumentation or basic bench procedures ? Are you a student, intern, trainee in industry ?. Do you have anyone on site who can train you ?

Peter
Peter Apps
Yes I need someone to train me in not to be careful in dealing with an expensive instrument, just use any procedure and publish a result.

By the way, have you done any educational courses about ethics and morality to how to speak with anyone?!!!
namer2014 wrote:
Yes I need someone to train me in not to be careful in dealing with an expensive instrument, just use any procedure and publish a result.

By the way, have you done any educational courses about ethics and morality to how to speak with anyone?!!!

As you will learn, if you pay attention, there is more to analytical chemistry than just being careful with the instruments.

You sound offended. Was it something I wrote while I was trying to get you the help that you are in such a hurry to get ? :roll:

Peter
Peter Apps
:mrgreen:
Help your self. If you have problem with your boss don't throw it here. I prepared many standards to most instruments but this technique is new to me. Most professor said use only certified standard but I am not concern about accuracy at this stage. That's why I ask. I think it is a good practice ( GLP) to read the manufacture manual of the column ( as an example) to know which best practice of using the column. Or the best way on how to handle ion suppression in LC-MS/MS as an example. So my question is a round this area ( GLP-standards/ICP-MS).

You spoiled my day.
namer2014,

Please do not be offended by Peter Apps reply and questions. He is willing to offer his help and must have as much information as possible in order to do so. This board is multinational and multicultural so please be aware that misunderstandings and misinterpretations can occur because of this. Respectful questions and replies will keep the tone of this board friendly and positive.
http://www.epa.gov/waste/hazard/testmet ... /6020a.pdf

Refer to section 7 in that document. It gives detailed examples of making most metals standards from the salts if you wish to go that route.

We normally just purchase standards from someone like Ultra Scientific or CPI that are a mixture of analytes at high concentrations and dilute to the range we need. The salts can be a less expensive way to make the standards if you already have them on hand and analyst time is not going to be too expensive.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
8 posts Page 1 of 1