Ethylene oxide residue in medicine products by GC

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Anyone have the idea how to analyze EO residues in medicine products (polymer) by headspace GC. Some products are rather large, should I cut them into pieces and by that way, is it possible that the residues can escape ?
Thanks
Here's a thought. Homogenize the sample is water, since the analyte is very polar. Then extract using headspace combined with heat, possibly with NaCl and agitation too.
Don Shelly
LGC Standards
Don Shelly wrote:
Here's a thought. Homogenize the sample is water, since the analyte is very polar. Then extract using headspace combined with heat, possibly with NaCl and agitation too.

Thanks for the input. I also think of some other solvents.
thohry,

Not much help but you might ask Retsch if they have ever seen this application. Or Markes.

Best regards,

AICMM
What is the identity of the polymer? Some polymers behave well as partition systems and direct headspace analysis is directly applicable. No extraction necessary. I use headspace SPME a lot for quantitative analysis of analytes dissolved in polymeric matrices. If the EO is concentrated enough, perhaps a straight static headspace analysis would work.
5 posts Page 1 of 1