Using Combi Pal as a derivitising step

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Hope somebody can help.
What we are looking to do is to use a SPME fibre as a derivitsing agent in the analysis of aldehydes. There is a published method where the fibre absorbs the derivitising agent, then absorbs the aldehydes from the sample vial.

What we can't figure out is how to configure the CPAL to do this. The system is Varian 3800, being run by Varian WS. The only way I could see to do this is by running a method where the desorb time is 0 and have a very short GC run time.

Does anyone have experience with this sample prep technique or a more elegant solution?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Andy
Hi Andy

I once worked with the CombiPal (LC-MS system with added fraction collector), but this is some years ago. I remember there was a macro programming tool for the PAL which is really powerful. Look for that under http://www.palsystem.com. What you intedn sounds not really straightforward, but the program is easy to learn.

Good luck
Jörg
It sounds like a SPME version of the NIOSH air method, only there the derivatizing agent is built in to the cartridge.
3 posts Page 1 of 1