derivatisation with sodium tetraethyl borate

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

sodium tetraethyl borate is frequently described as reagent for derivatisation of organotin compounds.
However, I'm concerned about doing this derivatisation in aqueous medium, as the MSDS says, sodium tetraethyl borate is pyrophore??

How do You safely prepare a solution of sodium tetraethyl borate in water?

Thanks in Advance for Your help!

Best regards
Florian
No one, who has experience in organotin analytics?
Don't know anything about sodium tetraethyl borate, but we derivatize using hexlymagnesium bromide for gcms analysis.
I use phenyl boronic acid for 3-mpcd (I am starting to anyways I switched from the AOAC bases HFBI method). It is specific for 1,2 and 1,3 diols and water makes no difference. I dissove 5g in 19ml acetone with 1ml H2O
We use sodium tetraethyl borate daily without any problems.
The material is purchases in small quantities eg 5gram witch are delivered under an inert gas.

Beware that all the material that has been in contact with the material are well washed with water afterwards.
At the moment we create a solution of 5g sodium tetraethyl borate dissolved in 50 ml THF, which works well.

The solution prepared is considered more stable (and nearly clear) than a solution prepared in water (more cloudy), and can be used for 2 weeks.
Which grade of THF must be used? I used an HPLC grade THF and miy solution is cloudy!
6 posts Page 1 of 1