Confuse SPE volume

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello All,

I am always confused about the volume value of SPE cartridges.

Foe example: 6 ML 250 mg MCX ( Cation exchange) SPE cartridges.

It means that we can only add totally not more than 6 ML sample solution to this cartridge or just for each time the volume of sample can not be more than 6ML and the times for adding to the cartridge are unlimited?

looking forward to your clarifications

Thanks
lot
Hello,

250 mg means the amount of packing material and 6 ml is the volume of the tube where the packing material is in. When the retion is OK during loading you can even pass a liter of liquid.

PeterS
You can apply the sample with total volume more than 6 ml depend on your sample nature.
If your liquid sample is 15 mL totally, then, the sample can be apply into 6 mL SPE cartridge by 3 time (5 mL x 3) or by using pumping system.
Jetjamnong
The first responder is correct. 6 mL is the total volume of the SPE tube. depending on the density of the particles in the bed(250 mg of carbon takes up a lot more space than 250 mg of alumina or silica), you should be able to add 5 to 5.5 mL of solvent to the bed.
Hi every body

I have extracted artificial colours from a local sweet sample using methanol : ammonium solution ratio of(95:5) and filtarred using filter paper, How i remove the sugars from the filterate, I mean cleaning the sample?

Thanks
Pass your E10-001 exam questions - braindumps.com on first attempt using ACCA
You can try reducing pH down to 8 or so by evaporating the ammonia. Then try passing the extract through a methanol activated primary secondary amine cartridge as a filter.
Don Shelly
LGC Standards
6 posts Page 1 of 1