Rocket Solvent Evaporators vs Centrivap

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
Can someone tell me the vital differences between these two?
Thanks
Lusi
I don't know much about the Centrivap Concentrator (only what they have on their website) but I looked into the Rocket evaporator extensively. They both seem to use the same basic principles for evaporation (i.e., centrifugation, heat, and vacuum). I think the Centrivap is designed mostly for biological samples "Sample sizes range from a few microliters up to 25 microliters" http://www.labconco.com/category/vacuum-concentrators.

The rocket evaporator has many accessories available to hold sample sizes of up to or greater than 200 mL (if I'm remembering correctly). It also has an adapter that will take a 200+ mL sample and connect directly to a GC/LC vial at the bottom. The down side for us was the price. around $40-$50,000 with most accessory options and the chiller for solvent collection. Contact Thermo/Dionex for a quote as I think Thermo now controls the sales of these systems.
~Ty~
Thanks Ty.
I saw a video with the rocket and it looked absolutely great.
Was just wondering if anyone here every used it.
No, I haven't but it looks great in theory :D
~Ty~
I know. I was just wondering if the theory matches reality.. :lol:
Let me return to this subject.

I was asked to increment the throughput of the GC lab and one of the most time demanding step is the evaporation of sample extracts . So I would like to know if this kind of evaporator could replace a traditional K-D evaporation technique without loss, especially for low boilers such as Naphthalene and the lighter fraction of diesel.
Any opinion?

Best Regards.
We now have one of these in our lab. However, we are not doing low boilers or any SVOC chems. Mostly high LogP stuff. We initially had issues getting the methods to work as they are not as "user editable" as Thermo would have you believe with their marketing. The creators, Genevac, in the UK were extremely helpful with method development for our specific solvent mixtures and chems. They have a unique large volume glass flask that has connection for GC/LC vials. Also, a setup for 60 mL ASE/VOA sample extraction tubes that work with the ASE 200 series.

I believe for volatiles like naphthalene the combine use of the GC vial holder and a keeper solvent such as 0.5mL of nonane would prevent losses (similar to KD setup). You could ask Thermo or Genevac for literature related to this as I'm sure it is out there.

In short, it is able to remove 50 mL of toluene in about 15 min compared to around 2+ hours when using and N-evap system. Major time save for high throughput labs. Just takes some time to work out your specifics when you get it. It is way better than KD setup in all aspects.

Hope this helps.

Ty
~Ty~
Thanks Tlahren.
It helps a lot.

Best regards.
8 posts Page 1 of 1