nanoemulsions in CBD seltzers

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

We are working on an R&D method for extracting CBD and THC out of seltzers containing nano emulsions followed by using HPLC-UV to analyze. The fats and emulsifiers used are proving to be tricky. The biggest issue so far is the lack of control in our experiment. Having a blank seltzer to spike a known concentration into doesn't seem entirely possible because the CBD/THC are contained in the nano emulsion. So how can we have something close to the matrix that is blank?

In my opinion, we can't truly do R&D until we have a way of spiking a known concentration to help measure the recovery of our extractions. Going off of the label claim of a customer's product that was sent to us for testing is not a solid way to test because we really don't know if their label is even accurate to begin with.

Thank you! I hope that whirlwind of an explanation made some sense.
Well since no one else bit into this one here is my idea. This is not necessarily the best route to go but in your shoes this is where I might start:

See if it were possible to find out the stabilizer used in the selzers being tested.
Prepare a blank emulsion using that stabilizer or a likely alternative and homogenize with a neutral hydrophobic material, possibly vegetable oil, terpenes or similar (maybe product label has something listed in the ingredient statement), and add it to plain water to match the transmittance of the degassed product to create the blank.

Add aliquots of the material of interest to the oil phase towards preparing the micro emulsion to create standards to be added to water for a curve.
We’ve used everything from hand held blenders to small pilot homogenizers to make emulsions with the latter being more preferred but the former got us within shooting range in a pinch.

Again this is just a starting point that might not get you the power you need for a validation but rather a place to start.

I hope someone else comes up with a better and simpler idea. Good Luck
2 posts Page 1 of 1