Acrolein - problem with prepare standard solution

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on a new (for my company) method of quantifying acrolein by GC-FID. I have a big problem with the appropriate weight of the standard. According to the article, I should add the right amount of acrolein to the CS2 flask. I bought certificate acrolein standard with a high purity (99.9%) and according to my company's instructions for the implementation of the standard of other chemicals, I measure the weight of the flask with CS2 and add the acrolein (using a glass syringe). But I did notice a large weight difference, often negative. I tried to cool the syringe but nothing has changed.

Does anyone have problem with acrolein like me? Maybe you have some advice?
Acetaldehyde presents a similar problem. What I do, is put some of the solvent in my volumetric flask (say 25 mL flask). I then tare the flask (no stopper) containing the solvent on my balance. I add a drop or 2 (a mass I'm certain I can measure accurately) to the solvent and measure the mass gain. Now, the acetaldehyde is dissolved in the solvent and when I dilute to the mark, I know the concentration. I can perform serial dilutions if I need to get the concentration smaller in my working standard.
2 posts Page 1 of 1