PFAS contamination by dispensette?

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
We are currently planning to develop a method for PFAS in water (drinking-water, ground water, surface water) in the next few months.

In order to get to the low ng/l levels we will probably need SPE extraction, and therefore we need to dispense solvents (MeOH).

Are there pfas-free bottle top dispensers available? I can find standard and ORG-type dispensettes from Brand, but in the discription of both I find:

Reliable and long lasting through high-grade materials such as ETFE, PTFE, PFA, FEP, Borosilicate glass and Platinum-Iridium

Or is this not a substantion source of contamination?
I use a Brandtech bottle top dispenser as recommended by Fluid Management Systems for use with their EZPFC extraction setup.
I don't see any contaminants from it and I'm doing the 533 list.
Yes, it contains PTFE.
Steve Reimer wrote:
I use a Brandtech bottle top dispenser as recommended by Fluid Management Systems for use with their EZPFC extraction setup.
I don't see any contaminants from it and I'm doing the 533 list.
Yes, it contains PTFE.

We just use the 10ml graduated serological pipettes and a bulb with a valve in it to dispense the prep and eluent solvents for the cartridges. Old school but effective. Only takes about two minutes to fill all twelve cartridges with each solvent.

Our biggest source of contamination so far has been the micro pipette tips and the LCMS Grade Methanol itself. Had to try a few brands before we found one that was clean enough. Oh and weigh the solid reagents directly into a known clean glass beaker, the weighing papers we had were highly contaminated with targets.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
3 posts Page 1 of 1