Bismute identification

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi. I have a problem with an acetylcysteine ​​solution. I found an impalpable black precipitate. a third-party laboratory investigation found traces of bismuth. do you know a simple technique to identify bismuth?
thank you
Off the top of my head, atomic absorption spectroscopy. A Google search should turn up lots of references.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Dissolve the ppt. in minimum amount of acid. Adjust pH to 8 or higher with sodium carbonate solution. It isn't bismuth if you don't get a white ppt..

Please describe your problem. Are you preparing an a-cys solution from contaminated a-cys? Its not impalpable.

Bismuth quantitaton requires ICP, AA, AE, IC, CE or other instrumental methods unless you have special chemicals for qualitative spot tests. Chromatographic techniques are preferred, here, such as IC, maybe CE, as well.

Hi. I have a problem with an acetylcysteine ​​solution. I found an impalpable black precipitate. a third-party laboratory investigation found traces of bismuth. do you know a simple technique to identify bismuth?
thank you
3 posts Page 1 of 1