Sodiumazide in alkaline hydrolysis

Discussions about sample preparation: extraction, cleanup, derivatization, etc.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

performing alkaline hydrolysis on urine for THCA analysis with 25% ammonia solution before LCMS-analysis.
Want to standardise my source of negative urine for calibrators and find commersial Control material. However many are preserved with sodiumazide, around 0,1-0,25%.
Does any one have an idea what would happen with the sodiumazide when doing that hydrolysis of the commersial urines?
And how wound it later react with the formic acid i use in my mobile phase.
Best regards
Pär
Hi buddy did you perform the test? I even am planning the same, will share results soon.

Regards,
B. Smith WalmartOne MyCFAVisit
Sodium azide is used as an antimicrobial agent in many common commercial formulations. Typically, it is very stable but switching pHs (thus providing electrons) may cause it to form Nitrogen gas.
nothing will happen at high pH, but formic acid will release hydrazoic acid from the azide. given the quantities, nothing to worry about

as a side note, why not extract THC-COOH after hydrolysis?
why inject salts in LCMS?
4 posts Page 1 of 1