Analysis of organochlorine pesticides with quechers

Discussions about methods and best practices across food quality, safety and authenticity testing.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We want to use quechers with organochlorine pesticides by ECD, but some people has said that this is not possible with ECD because quechers left too much chlorophile in the final sample and this make impossible to analyze.

Well, we want to analyze fruits and vegetables. Has somebody experience with this issue?

Thank you for your answer.
Life is a game, and in a game you can win or loose, but it is still a game.
We use QuEChERS routinely for organochlorine pesticides in fruit and vegetables. We typically use GC-MS (see the AOAC method) but we have used ECD in the past with no problems. Make sure you use a dSPE tube that contains GCB; this will help you with the chlorophyll.
Mark Krause
Laboratory Director
Krause Analytical
Austin, TX USA
My lab is planning a new project to analyze organochlorine pesticides by GC-ECD using QUECHERS sample prep. I am working on ordering the supplies that we will need, and notice that all of the pre-packaged QUECHERS supplies are in plastic centrifuge tubes. I am wondering if this may result in absorption of the analytes to the plastic tubes given that they are strongly lipophilic. Or is this not a problem since they are sufficiently soluble in acetonitrile.
sassman wrote:
My lab is planning a new project to analyze organochlorine pesticides by GC-ECD using QUECHERS sample prep. I am working on ordering the supplies that we will need, and notice that all of the pre-packaged QUECHERS supplies are in plastic centrifuge tubes. I am wondering if this may result in absorption of the analytes to the plastic tubes given that they are strongly lipophilic. Or is this not a problem since they are sufficiently soluble in acetonitrile.

I think Restek makes a GCB cartridge for this cleanup. We have done extractions for these using the plastic cartridges without problems, but I know some places make them with glass cartridges, Unitedchemtech UCT is one place you may look to find that option.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
4 posts Page 1 of 1