Reviews on "Interpretation of Mass Spectra" by McLafferty?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm relatively new to GCMS and would like to purchase a text on MS interpretation. Any opinions on this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Interpretation-Ma ... 3NITGIWRAZ

Also, it looks like there are 4 editions spanning almost 30 years. I'm on a tight budget and could save money with one of the older editions. Would those be too dated, and not worth the savings?

Thanks in advance for any input.
I would consider this text to be "Bible" of MS data interpretation. However, it is mostly geared towards understanding EI fragmentation pathways and EI spectra. I'm not sure what's different in the newer versions. I think it may contain information on fragmentation in atmospheric ion sources such as ESI or APCI etc. If you are looking to learn the fundamental aspects of MS data interpretation this book is where you should start and the earlier editions should be fine. EI fragmentation and spectra haven't changed since it was invented.

This was the main text used in my graduate MS course I took in grad school. It was a very good book. Every place I have worked has had their own copy of it to reference to for MS interpretation.
~Ty~
Thanks for the reply. Going to order the 3rd edition!
it looks like there are 4 editions spanning almost 30 years. I'm on a tight budget and could save money with one of the older editions. Would those be too dated, and not worth the savings?
.......Em Crazy..........
4th edition is the latest one I believe. This one is extensively revised and updated.
5 posts Page 1 of 1