Buffer filtration

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
My analysts are not filtering their buffers and believe they do not need to as long as they purchase HPLC grade.

Any suggestions on how to get analysts to filter the buffer when they make mobile phase- all suggestions welcome!

Thanks!
Do you have an SOP that requires filtering of buffers?
If so, I suspect that the threat of "termination for failure to follow written procedures" might bring around better compliance.

Just because a buffer is made from LC grade ingredients does not render it sterile. Filtering helps remove microbes in addition to preventing any undissolved salts from trashing your pump seals.

If I'm using LC grade water, organic solvents and liquid modifiers, I don't bother to filter either (unless the final solution might support microbial growth). If there's ANY salt in it, or ANY non-LC grade additive, it gets filtered (0.45µ for 5µ packings, 0.2µ for anything smaller).

Good luck.
Thanks,
DR
2 posts Page 1 of 1