Shimadzu LC-10 pump making noise?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I recently noticed that my Shimadzu LC-10ADvp pump is starting to make some squeaky sound, almost like something is rubbing together.

I'm assuming I need to "oil" the pump but I don't see a 'hole' in which to pour oil.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do to fix it? Are there any special considerations on oil/grease that I need to take into consideration?

Thanks
Your best bet is to contact Shimadzu to find out if you can get a copy of the service manual. I don't have "hands on" experience with that system, but in general if you're lucky it will be something like the cam follower, and a dab of silicone grease on the cam will take care of the problem. If that doesn't quiet things down, then the next likely suspect is one of the bearings in the drive. If it's an open bearing, a shot of spray lubricant might help. In either case, you'll have to open up the case to get at the works. Worst-case is the pump would have to be rebuilt (replacement would probably be cheaper).
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Tom is right-remove the screws from the top/sides of the case and you'll see the metal cam-most likely it has run dry and needs some grease applied to it-also you should remove the old dry grease/dirt with Kimwipes and some light solvent like Methanol or Acetone etc...Shimadzu has some special$$ grease but we just use Teflon grease once a year and it works fine...the syringe units on the autosamplers will squeak as well just oil the spring inside and that fixes it...Tom is also right those pumps are on ebay for $100 sometimes in perfect shape so not worth replacing too much...the "motor home" error is death sentence at least for me maybe not for an experienced tech...
Hi Tom and eg, thanks so much. I opened up the case and put a could drops of oil from my vacuum pump and it quieted down. Thanks again.
4 posts Page 1 of 1