Starting analysis aborted via CAN +Shutdown (Agilent 1100)

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
I am currently running an Agilent 1100 Series HPLC with Chemstation Rev. B.04.03. Everything runs fine, but recently I've been getting an error that causes a shutdown and doesn't provide a lot of information as to what caused the error.

The error messages are:

"Sequence.S terminated due to an error"
G1316A (Column Compartment) "Starting analysis aborted via CAN"
G1315 (Detector) "Starting analysis aborted via CAN"

I've searched online and haven't found any answers to resolve this issue. I plan to replace the CAN cables attached to the modules mentioned, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience encountering this error. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: MORE INFORMATION

I restarted the sequence and tried to finish my batch, however I encountered another set of errors. The errors encountered are:

Error 41300 Occurred (invalid path, Agilent claims this was fixed with an update)
Error 10010, can't write to DAD1.UV- This error results from lost spectra during acquisition. I could not find a fix available.

I'm currently rinsing the flow cell, but any other help or information would be helpful. Thank you.
Many things could cause this. Here is some info that may help.

Have you applied the two available service packs to your B.04.03 software?

The initial errors indicate a lose of communication to the modules over the instrument network. That is consistent when it causes a Sequence to abort during a run, but continue to run the system. Communication which is lost to just one or two modules, can indeed be from a defective $5 Ethernet cable (CAN cable) so it is always worth replacing them to start with. However, that rarely fixes it. In your case, the communication drop probably initiated from a DAD daisy chained to a TCC. That seems more likely due to the LAN board in the detector being "flaky". You may need to replace the LAN board. This same problem can also be caused by the computer's LAN board (which communicates to the HPLC's LAN board) dropping the signal too. In that case, a new computer LAN card (or motherboard, as most are integrated) is required. You could start by updating the computer's LAN firmware to see if that helps, otherwise a new computer may be needed. Monitor the problem to see if it is always initiated by the same module (HPLC LAN card suspect) or if it varies (Computer LAN suspect). *They can be difficult to narrow down as things like a corrupted hard disk (very common on most computers that are a few years old) can do it too.

*We see these errors a lot with clients who purchased their HPLC instruments off ebay, one of the many auction sites or from a flipper / re-sellers. Not saying you did, but it is common problem today with the flood of used equipment on the market. Many of those older instruments sat outside or in unconditioned space in various storage warehouses for many years before being sold to the next buyer, who often sells them to another and so on (damaging the mainboards).
2 posts Page 1 of 1