HP 1050 Diode Array Detector failed power supply

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
After New Years' I was greeted with a fun new issue with our almost 30-year old HP 1050 HPLC system: The DAD won't turn on.

I found that both of the fuses had blown despite being plugged into a surge protector with battery backup. I replaced them and one of the new fuses blew immediately upon power-up with a loud pop.
I removed the power supply (OEM part number 5061-3375), which was surprisingly easy - there's a pull ring on the back and it just slides out. Upon inspecting the interior, I found a burnt resistor. We decided to order a replacement power supply for about $250.

I plan to check the other boards in the system (ASC, AQB, CMP, and Communication Interface Board CRB) for secondary damage. I'm not sure how I'll gain access to the LUM Mother Board Assembly since it's deep inside the instrument.

Has anyone else encountered a failed power supply in these instruments, and did you have secondary damage to other boards? I've dealt with failed PC power supplies that resulted in dead motherboards, so I'm dreading any further issues with this instrument.
These 1050 units were great instruments, but they are also quite old.

If you need a replacement module, remember that 1100 DAD can be easily used with a 1050 system software.
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
These 1050 units were great instruments, but they are also quite old.

If you need a replacement module, remember that 1100 DAD can be easily used with a 1050 system software.

Good to know the HP 1100 DAD is compatible! I'll keep that in mind if we do end up having to replace the HP 1050 DAD. Hopefully I can keep it on its last elbows long enough to complete my dissertation.
I've repaired, replaced, and taken apart much of the instrument already, which gave me an appreciation for its design and inner workings. I imagine this is like owning a classic car. It really hit me how old this thing was when I found parts stamped with "Made in West Germany" on it.
I don 't know if 1200 module is compatible, could be.
Replace the power supply with a good clean working one and you should be OK. DO not 'fiddle' with the other caged modules. Odds are they are just fine. We have observed electrical surges which knocked out and fried those (and other) hplc power supplies in older HP modules with no damage to the other components. All power supplies fail eventually and replacement is likely to solve the issue.

And btw, you can purchase used 1050 MWD/DAD's at reasonable prices for parts or replacement (same parts inside except for one daughter board which has the DAD firmware).
5 posts Page 1 of 1