Inter-HPLC variability

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Is there any limit to consider acceptable a variability in absolute peak area values between HPLCs? This both for same model HPLCs and for instruments from different manufacturers but with similar configuration.
For example, I found a 2% difference between Agilent systems (1100, 1260 and 1260II) and a 5% between an Agilent and a Thermo one.
Is there any limit to consider acceptable
Since peak areas are in arbitrary units (OK, if you want to be nitpicky, the units would be AU-sec or mV-sec) and are affected by things like sampling rate, time constant, and bunching / filtering, there's no reason to expect them even to be similar. Furthermore, since you have to calibrate your method on a specific instrument anyway, it doesn't matter.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
@ focusanalytics,

If you're talking about large peaks, 5 and even 10% are OK.
But if you are dealing with small peaks fx. in purity determinatins, it could be of great importance.
If I were you I would consider measuring and comparing the S/N (Signal to Noise) values your different systems will exhibit.

Best Regards
Learn Innovate and Share

Dancho Dikov
3 posts Page 1 of 1