Waters 2487 UV-VIs just beeps on startup

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I recently had to power down a Waters 2487 UV detector that had been operating just fine. When I tried to power it back on, the screen flashes back for a moment and then will not display anything and the unit begins to beep and does not stop beeping.

Obviously there is some major issue with the detector, but without any error code to go by (since the screen will not display anything) I have no idea what to try.

Any ideas/thoughts/solution would be greatly appreciated!
Easy things first.

replace CR2032 battery on mainboard.

If that does not do it check 5 v power supply located on left most side of unit, There is a small potentiatometer on it. Turn it .5 turns forward and see if it works. If not 0.5 back.
Easy things first.

replace CR2032 battery on mainboard.

If that does not do it check 5 v power supply located on left most side of unit, There is a small potentiatometer on it. Turn it .5 turns forward and see if it works. If not 0.5 back.
^ that said, if it is the pot on the low voltage board, know that at best, this is a temporary fix. It (that board) will probably fail within about a year. Also, you should use a multimeter and set that voltage potential across (if memory serves) a thick brown wire and ground, to 5.1-5.2V (again - if memory serves).
If it falls outside that range, you get into a boot-loop that includes beeping.

When that CR2032 battery dies, you usually just have the thing revert to its default IEEE address (@2), which will keep it and other IEEE systems on that LACE from working if there is a conflict.
Thanks,
DR
Thanks for the advice!

The battery made no difference.

Turning the POT on the board one way made the beeps go away, but there was nothing on the screen and none of the buttons on front panel would do anything.

Turning the POT the other direction made the screen appear entirely black, but the beeps remained and nothing came up on the display.
turn screw, in the direction it went black till you just see the letters and #'s on the screen. just before it turns black and you see the numbers and letters is ~ 5 volts. the screen should then tell you whats wrong, and we can go from there
Still no luck...

The entire screen is one solid color, I can vary the darkness from black to nothing, but there are no numbers and letters on the screen, just a single filled in rectangle.
unfortunately the next step is power supply and cpu board in that order.

i would suggest getting the parts from a parts unit, as not to buy uneeded parts
8 posts Page 1 of 1