Resolution Solution for Vitamin D3

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello Friends,
Does anyone know why the USP calls for the resolution solution (pre-vitamin D3) to be made? I thought it was to ensure the HPLC would detect the thermal degradation of D3. We put both the working standard and the test samples in a waterbath at 60 deg C for 1hour. If both the pre-vitamin D3 and D3 can be utilized by the body and convert into the active 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, then would this be reported as total Vitamin D3?

I was able to see the pre-vitamin D3 separation from the D3 using the USP method 1 for Vitamin D3 in oil capsules. I am working on creating a UPLC/MS method for D3. I have my D3 peak coming out at 2.5 minutes. Waters has a method for creating derivatives in order to quantitate the pre-vitamin D3 and D3. Various other labs that I checked with are unable to separate these isomers. Any feedback would be great.
Does anyone know why the USP calls for many of the things they do ?
2 posts Page 1 of 1