HILIC Retention Time Stability Polar Pesticides

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm trying to analyse polar pesticides, e.g. fosetyl, phosphonic acid, perchlorate,...

I'm following QuPPE v 9.3 for sample preparation.

First experiments were conducted using a Hypercarb column. Although the column was primed was spinach extract as suggested, peaks were broad, retention times were unstable (+- 2 min) and recoveries were <10% against solvent standard and increased to 140% after correction of internal standard.
Therefore, results were not satisfying.

I switched to a zwitterionic HILIC column (Sequant ZIC HILIC, 250 x 4,6 mm, 5µm)
Recoveries increased to 60% against solvent standard and to 95% after correction of internal standard (using the same extracts as above, so this seems to be rather a high signal suppression and mathematical overcorrection issue less than an extraction efficiency issue)

Unfortunately, I do not get stable retention times on the HILIC column (+- 1 min)
I've tried:
- equilibration 20x column volumes after each injection (HILIC seems to need longer equilibration times than RPLC)
- using buffered eluents (5 mM ammoniumformiate + 0.3% formic acid, pH 3)
- prepare eluents freshly
- diluent matches starting condition
- different column temperatures

Do you have any suggestions how to overcome this retention time shifts?

Is Ion Exchange chromatography less prone to retention time shifts? I've found a paper that seems to be relevant (Anna Bauer et al, Determination of Fosetyl and Phosphonic Acid at 0.010 mg/kg Level by Ion Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry)
Hi, Klamtza,

Yes, HILIC is known to require far more time for column equilibration than revere phase chromatography. This guide may help:

http://mac-mod.com/pdf/product-bulletin ... 0Guide.pdf

Chapters 1 and 8, among others. The guide is quite good, I think.

Reviewed the paper you cite above, seems reasonable work to me. Was a bit disappointed with the lack of retention time repeatability data? That said, the column used is solid, though I've not used quite that eluent with it myself. No post-column suppressor...
MattM
2 posts Page 1 of 1