Waters 410 RI sinusoidal baseline problems

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I am using the 410 with a Hitachi D-7000 LC system. The 410 is exhibiting a sine wave in the baseline, with a period of about 2 hours. When I switch into purge, the sine wave has a higher amplitude and shorter period. Anyone seen something like this? Welcome to ideas.

The sine wave is generally common for RI and I have always thought that it was due to the heating cycles of the column oven. In your case it seems more the heating cycle of your RI (at what T are you using it?).

Maybe you can switch off the column oven and see what happens?
If the temperature of your lab doesn't change extremely fast you should get a drifting baseline (either upwards or downwards) after a while..

Normally the sine baseline is not so critical if the signal is high enough and the amplitude is reasonable (at least considering I use RI only for GPC).
Looks like a Temperaure fluctuation, what temperatures are you using in your column oven and inside temperature of your Waters 410? :roll:
That sounds like temperature fluctuation for sure. Here is an article link that will help you understand and troubleshoot the problem.

"HPLC Baseline Stabilization Tips for Refractive Index Detectors (RI or RID)" ;https://hplctips.blogspot.com/2018/02/hplc-baseline-stabilization-tips-for.html
4 posts Page 1 of 1