By HPLC Dave on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:52 am:

I have to dilute my sample 1mL in 100mL distilled water.
If I use a plastic disposable syringe (1.0mL in 100mL) I get approx. 0.5% RSD on 5 dilutions.
If I use an 4 figure analytical balance (1.0g in 100mL) and convert to v/v with the sample density I get 1.0% RSD on 5 dilutions.
I would have thought the balance method would give a better RSD. Any thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ann on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:28 am:

My immediate thought is to ask what the precision of your system is i.e. the RSD when injecting 5 times from the same solution? The difference in RSD resulting from syringe vs. balance is small and could simply be due to chance.

Theoretically, I agree that the balance should be much more accurate than a disposible syringe. However, practically speaking, I prefer to handle liquids (using Gilson pippettes) when possible as I find it much more reproducible than weighing out powders in very small quantities (especially when static makes it fly off the spatula and cling to your gloved hand, grrrrr!!!)

Ann :o)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By HPLC Dave on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:05 am:

Hello Ann,
My RSD is 0.10 - 0.20% for 5 injections.
I agree with you about handling liquids - it makes life easier.
I suppose I am fortunate that my RSDs are only 0.5 - 1.0%. They could be worse!!
Just curious really.

(I have performed this balance vs syringe experiment before with the same result).

Thanks for your reply
HPLC Dave

By Ann on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:08 am:

Hi Dave

Another thought - how do you convert your 1% (w/v) to 1% (v/v), is there a dilution step? If so, I guess you would expect a 2-step process(balance plus dilution) to be more variable than a 1-step process (syringe dilution alone)?

Still thinking... :o)

Ann

By KHW on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:34 pm:

How sure are you about the acurateness of your syringe? Just take 1 ml from this syringe and weigh it. I would not trust the disposable syringe too much.

Regards,

KHW

By HPLC Dave on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:34 am:

To KHW:

The RSD of 5 weighings of 1mL is approx. 0.5%.

HPLC Dave