Cleaning HPLC, detergent

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I have injected 0.5M Sodium Laurly sulfate on my HPLC as a mobile phase. How can I clean out the system?
isnt that a foaming agent for soaps and shampoo? you made a mobile phase out of that? why?
hot water flush would be my first attempt to remove it.
Thank you for your suggestion,
I have flushed over night with water, will any other solvents aid in SLS removal?

Thank you
BostonFSE wrote:
isnt that a foaming agent for soaps and shampoo? you made a mobile phase out of that? why?

Maybe poster was using as an ion-pairing reagent.

Anyway, I'd do water rinse followed by methanol rinse. The anionic surfactant is soluble in those.
BostonFSE wrote:
hot water flush would be my first attempt to remove it.

It also shows up once in a while as a dissolution buffer additive, but never at anything approaching 0.5M - this concentration seems quite high for use in LC... I suspect lots of patience and varying MeOH/Water rinse will (eventually) get it out.
Thanks,
DR
I suspected as much, It has been flowing water for about 24 hours straight now. I plan to run it over the weekend as well, probably 5ml/min.
Working from memory of 12yrs ago, I would recommend a 50/50 mix of 50 mMolar Ammonium acetate aqueous and MeCN.
Set col temp at 50 C so that you can increase flow rate to about 2 mL/min.
I don’t think that you will be able to pump water at 5 mL/min through a true HPLC column.
Are you using SEC ?

Regards,
JMB
Currently I do not have a column on the system, I am just pumping solvent through it. JMB, your suggestion of pumping 50/50 ammonium acetate and ACN, was that used specifically for detergent removal?
Yes.
It may have been aq. Am Acetate and MeOH
As I say, from memory.
JMB
9 posts Page 1 of 1