Any good ways to get out a broken column plug?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

This may have been asked on this forum before, but I haven't been able to find it. We have a column in which an end plug got broken in half and the tip of it is still stuck in the inlet of our column. Does anyone have a good way to remove these broken pieces?

Thanks in advance!!!
In case anyone is curious, we figured out a way to do this by heating up a scalpel enough to melt the plastic just a bit and were able to twist the broken piece out.
We've used small extractor tool (like for broken bolts) from auto parts or hardware store.

But since then we did buy and use the PEEK Fitting Removal Tool, Restek #25325, works great. 814-353-1300
I normally just use the tip of my pocket knife or a micro screwdriver(flat blade type).
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
In case of PEEK screws and ferrules I use a combination of triangular pile and pliers. Usually it works
HPLC 2017 in Prague, http://hplc2017-prague.org/
Good Morning:

I see that you have several replies and you were successful in removing the broken plug; however, if in the future you do not succeed in removing the broken fitting plug, there may be a simpler way to correct this issue.

Not all, but many HPLC columns these days have removable end fittings. For example, Supelco HPLC columns have removable end fittings, and the fittings used on 3-4.6mm ID columns are interchangeable. Therefore, if you are working with columns that have removable end fittings, when a column dies, remove the end fittings, wash them thoroughly, and place them in a brand-labeled box or plastic bag for issues like this one. Then all you need to do is replace the end fitting, no digging out the broken plug. Before removing an end fitting from an HPLC column, determine if the frits are flat or if the frits are capped. If the column has flat frits, nothing stabilizing it so that it does not move when the fitting is removed disturbing the silica gel, I would avoid removing the end fitting if at all possible. However, it the column has a "frit cap", such as Supelco HPLC columns, the frit will not move when the end fitting is removed, resulting in no disturbance of the silica gel.

Regards,
Linda
Take a very small sharp knife. Hold it firmly to the point of the thread of column and broken plug. Now rotate the column to the opposite direction of the end cap tightening. It can be removed easily.

Note: Knife should be very small , better use from one of the swiss army knife
7 posts Page 1 of 1